Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Adventures in Breastfeeding: Infant Style!

Happy Tuesday, Mamas!!

I know, I know, I've been slacking. For shame, Em! Depriving these people! Truth is, with school starting for me in a couple weeks, and work starting to pick back up, I chose my house and my girls over blogging. (Boo, hiss! I'd rather blog than work)

I had quite the experience yesterday evening at an Infant Massage course offered by our WIC office. (It was free! Another reason to inquire about your local office)
It was the first, all EBF group. There was a 6 week old and a 3 month old who were champion latchers, and their Mamas were just as nonchalant about feeding them in front of everyone. I was bursting with pride and happy as could be! Good for them!

...And then Isabel decided that she wanted to try to nurse sitting up. Yes, my darling little angel was no longer content with the snuggle hold. She refused to lie in my arms, screaming and pushing away whenever I moved her into position. But she would snuggle up against me, standing on my leg, and suck at my chest because she (thought she) was starving. This was not working out. At all.

I call these the 'Four Pointers of Breastfeeding'. 
Both of my girls were 'Across the breast' feeders, which was nice. But, for some reason, things just changed. And it happened on vacation. 
While nursing Isabel the first afternoon we were up there, I was so tired that I just curled right up with her on the bed. We nursed and co-slept for about an hour. After that, it was like she refused to go back to her tried and true feeding ways. Even today, she constantly pulls away from her old latch to look at something, or stare at me and try to wiggle out of my hold. 
Or she tries the 'I'm going to sit up and nurse despite the fact that you have to hold me AND your boob up so I can reach the nipple'. This is exhausting. I was not blessed with the ability to deft gravity, and while my nipples don't point straight down, they are well on their way. No normal bra or ace bandage can keep these (borderline F cup size) puppies up! So, while I'm excited that she wants to nurse and still claim independence, I have no idea how to do that with the position she wants.

I, being a big-breasted woman, am a little uncomfortable with the co-sleeping and nursing arrangement. After she falls asleep, I pick her up and put her back in her bed. Give her fifteen minutes or so, and she is howling. Sure, she's probably confused as to how she got to her bed in the first place, but the minute I get to her bedside, she's in play mode. Rocking doesn't help, and nursing turns into a wrestling match until I give up and just bring her to my bed and snuggle down.

So, my breastfeedin' Mamas... 

What do you do?

#breastfeedinghasgottenharder




No comments:

Post a Comment