Saturday, January 17, 2015

Broken But Not Beaten!

On Thursday, I had a bad feeling about going to work. I woke up late, I didn't get my coffee, and I kept getting behind the s-l-o-w-e-s-t drivers on my route to the facility. In the back of my mind, a little voice was nagging me to go home, and call out of work. BUT! I'm an ethical worker, and I do like my job, so I ignored that voice, and clocked in.

Being a CNA, I've long accepted the fact that my field comes with its fair share of boo-boos, which include, but are not limited to: Easily catching multiple colds and/or Flu, strangely placed bruises, scrapes, aching muscles, headaches, and in extreme cases, strained/sprained muscles and tendons.
#CNAlife
When dealing with an Dementia client, you are walking a tightrope. Despite all the training you receive, there is always the risk of one, small thing that could make you fall into a dangerous situation, for you and the client. You gotta know when to act, when to back off, and when to call for back-up. On Thursday, I was the back-up. Despite appropriate approaches, I was treated as a threat, and the situation quickly turned on its head. My Co-worker did her best to diffuse the situation, and after a couple minutes, things settled. But the damage was done. Luckily, I have some great co-workers, and a great boss. They were supportive, and after icing my wrist, then wrapping it with an ace bandage, I went back to work, and finished my shift. I was given the fun duty of folding laundry!


Currently, I have physical therapy appointments set up to get myself on a fast-track care plan. I'm still able to do light duty, which means I can still work! Yay! 
Blog posts will be slower, until I can type without taking lots of breaks. I'll keep updates rolling on my Twitter, so follow me there! @lilfrozenpeach

Love to all my Working Mamas, who have to roll with the punches on a daily basis. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment