Thursday, January 8, 2015

Adventures in Breastfeeding: One Year Later...

Big Sis Beans and Baby Girl. January 15, 2014

Wow. This year has gone by so fast; I can hardly keep up with everything! Baby Girl will be a year old in about one week, and we're still going strong on the breastfeeding front. This is a goal that I never dreamed I could obtain. Each time we curl up on the couch, or in bed, and she looks up at me with those heavy-lidded eyes as she suckles herself to sleep, a wave of contentment washes over me.

Don't get me wrong, we're still struggling with things. Breastfeeding isn't a walk in the park, as much as I would like it to be. Not really the same issues from before, but different situations I've never had to deal with!
The cold weather has settled itself in, and I suffer from constantly hard and/or chapped nipples. Negative temperatures will do that to ya, I guess. 

Baby Girl has become a 'snacker'; during the day, when she's missed me, or just thirsty, or needs to feel safe, she fusses about until I pick her up, and she paws at my shirt until I can pull myself from my nursing bra. After a few big gulps, she P-U-L-L-S off, stretching the end of my nipple like taffy, grinning and babbling at me. I have yet to find a way to deter this behavior, aside from lying in bed, in my dark bedroom, at bedtime. Any other Mamas out there with tips, feel free to leave 'em in the comments!

Yes, I'm still pumping at work. My boss is OK with  pumping for as long as I need to. That makes my job awesome!! I still feel like a cow most days, though. Moo.

Big Sis Beans and Baby Girl. Christmas 2014 (almost 1 year later!)


I think that my next goal is 18 months. I say that because, between note and then, she could get actual teeth. Once that happens, she may possibly want actual food more than the Ta-Tas. I won't lie, I'm excited about child-lead weaning! 
Of course, I say this, and Baby Girl hits another growth spurt where she only wants to nurse for hours and hours.

There are good things (baby snuggles!!) and bad things, (periods that can make your supply drop) but overall I'm still content with knowing that my body is still doing everything in its power to give Baby Girl what she needs.

I've met my goal, and surpassed it. You can do the same, Mamas!!

(via Pinterest: Rosie the Riveter By Melissa 'Asylum' Hansen)

No comments:

Post a Comment